Submit news & letters
Letter to editor
Submit a Happy Ad
Minnesota Public Radio
Special sections & topics
Lawn and Garden
Spring Valley - Wykoff FFA
Fall Home Improvement
Health & Wellness
Living 50 Plus
Wykoff Fall Fest
Sports - High School
Bluff Country Reader
Bluff Country News
Bluff Country Videos
The Chatfield News
Chatfield area news
Chatfield football team
In the Schools
In the Schools
Harmony|Mabel|Canton area news
Photo galleries from News-Record
Sports from News-Record
Columnists in News-Record
Public notices from News-Record
Letters to the News-Record
Spring Grove Herald
Sports - High School
Letters to Editor
Sports and Outdoors
Persons & Places series
Spring Valley Tribune
Spring Valley area news
Kingsland school news
SV community links
Tribune public notices
Glimpses of Yesteryear
City-wide rummage sale
Letters to the Tribune
Rushford area news
Editorials and Columns
Letters to the Tri-County Record
Archive for Tri-County Record
Six seek seat on Mabel City Council
By Melissa Vander Plas
Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:38 AM
Running for city council positions in Mabel this year are, from left, Laura St. Mary, Carl Westby and Kirsten Wyffels. Not shown, but also included on the ballot are Jeff Rein, Darrell Peterson and Davey Peterson.
Candidates for election answered four questions sent to them by the News-Record. Their answers are printed after the number corresponding with the following questions.
1. What has motivated you to file for this office? If you are an incumbent, please note how many years you have served and why you wish to continue.
2. Name one characteristic you have that has enabled or would enable you to be a valuable member of this office. Please explain.
3. In these difficult economic times, how would you prioritize the needs for the city?
4. Is there an upcoming issue that you feel needs to be addressed by the city?
Seeking a seat on the Mabel City Council this year are incumbents Kirsten Wyffels and Kris Nolte as well as Carl Westby, Darrell Peterson, Jeff Rein, Davey Peterson and Laura St. Mary.
The News-Record sent questionnaires to all of the candidates, but received only three back to include in the election coverage. Wyffels, Westby and St. Mary provided candidate profiles and shared their views and priorities for the city of Mabel.
Laura St. Mary is a business owner in the city of Mabel.
Carl Westby is a sprinkler fitter. He is married to Stephanie and they have one child, Kaylin.
Kirsten Wyffels is a family nurse practitioner. She and her husband, Doug, have two children, Drew, 11, and Lauren, 9.
Laura St. Mary
1. I'm running for Mabel City Council to learn how the town functions on all levels in order to help keep it viable, sustainable and prosperous into the foreseeable future.
2. I'm involved in the community - over the years and currently being an active member in different organizations and activities.
3. A top priority is the basic services provided regarding water/sewer, electric, street repairs, etc., and how to keep them affordable.
4. How to promote Mabel positively for its housing, residents, standard of living, quality education - those things we already have and then to build on them by working to revive Main Street.
1. Watching so many businesses close in the last few years has really made me want to help this community. With so many young people moving to town, I see so much potential for our town to grow.
2. Motivation. I like to get things done. Once I start something, I make sure to see it through until it is finished.
3. I would try to keep and maintain sewer, water and electricity at low rates without increases and keep taxes down.
4. I would like to repair and replace the sewer lines that were damaged during the last flood and help promote new businesses and work with the EDA to establish new businesses and ideas.
1. It has been an honor to serve as a council member for the city of Mabel for the last eight years. I have also served on the EDA for eight years. I want to continue to work together to promote Mabel as a great community to live in and a safe and nurturing place to raise a family. We need to strive to keep a positive focus on our small community to promote growth and vitality especially for our schools and local businesses. Currently, I am working on the grocery store committee in an effort to reopen a grocery store downtown. This would continue to be my number one priority. It is crucial that we continue to support local businesses and organizations for the quality of life of our community.
2. Commitment. Being born and raised in the Mabel area, I have a great sense of pride and commitment to keep this community positive and moving forward. Four generations of my family live in Mabel from my 91-year-old grandfather to my 9-year-old daughter. Each generation has its own needs from the community, therefore I am dedicated to help care for the community needs for all ages.
3. We need to continue to deliver quality services to our residents in the most efficient and cost effective manner. Whether this is our upcoming sewer and water project, including street repair, or our revitalization and investment of our downtown, we need to continue to invest in our community and help promote growth. We need to continue to think creatively to identify new revenue sources to finance these projects.
4. One issue is revitalizing our downtown and supporting local businesses, including partnering with the EDA and our grocery store committee to reopen a grocery store downtown Mabel and to work to support our established businesses. But this cannot be the city's issue and responsibility alone. As a community, we need to shop local and engage citizens to work together to strengthen the pride in our community. We need to continue to make Mabel a great place to live!
Please fill out the form below to submit a comment.
A comment must be approved by our staff before it will displayed on the website.
How far are you traveling over the Thanksgiving holiday?
5 or more hours
Flying out of the state
Miles per Gallon
Swimsuit Model of the Day
Quote of the Day
Content 2014 ©
Bluff Country Newspaper Group
(507) 346-7365 •
Software 2014 © 1up!
, All Rights Reserved