LEGALS: REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING: AUGUST 20, 2012
Wednesday, October 03, 2012 5:44 AM
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of Independent School District #297 was held at 7:00 p.m. Monday, August 20, 2012, in the Media Center.
Board members present: Aaron Solum, Kristy Folz, Eric Bjerke, Michelle Borreson, Shannon Schuttemeier and Christian Myrah
Board members absent: None
School employees present: Rachel Udstuen, Nancy Gulbranson and Tanya Elton
Motion by Michelle Borreson, seconded by Kristy Folz and carried unanimously to approve the minutes of the Regular School Board Meeting held on Monday, July 16, 2012, at 7:00 p.m. in the Media Center.
Motion by Kristy Folz, seconded by Eric Bjerke and carried unanimously to approve the bills for August as follows:
General Fund (1) $106,410.47
Payroll - Direct Deposit $ 17,282.36
Payroll - Checks $ 1,184.63
Payroll Liabilities - Direct Deposit $ 14,823.79
Payroll Liabilities - Checks $ 177.04
Food Service (2) $ 0.00
Community Service (4) $ 714.69
Motion by Kristy Folz, seconded by Shannon Schuttemeier and carried unanimously to approve the agenda as presented and revised.
Dan Goergen, Cal/Houston/SG Wrestling Coach addressed the Board - he wants to start a youth wrestling program in Spring Grove. Stressed that he wants any Spring Grove students that are interested to be involved - they do not want to leave anyone out.
Motion by Kristy Folz, seconded by Michelle Borreson and carried unanimously approve the "Bench for Bucks" to the 2012-2013 Fundraising List as long as affiliated with the athletic department/coaching staff.
Motion by Eric Bjerke, seconded by Shannon Schuttemeier and carried unanimously to hire the following staff for the 2012-2013 school year according to the provisions of the Master Agreement between the Spring Grove School District and the River Valley Education Association, Spring Grove Chapter MEA/NEA, Appendix B: Amy Milbradt - Elementary (1.0 FTE), Lindsey Mackie - Part-time Social Studies (.167 FTE), Jennifer Solberg - Part-time Elementary (.645 FTE).
Motion by Shannon Schuttemeier, seconded by Christian Myrah and carried unanimously to increase the contract of Kristi Anderson 30 minutes to accommodate the additional kindergarten class.
Motion by Shannon Schuttemeier, seconded by Michelle Borreson and carried unanimously to accept the resignation of Chris Thompson as Assistant Varsity Football Coach effective immediately.
Motion by Michelle Borreson, seconded by Christian Myrah and carried unanimously to hire Heath Olson and Brian Anderson as Assistant Varsity Football Coach (shared position) for the 2012 season.
Motion by Michelle Borreson, seconded by Christian Myrah and carried unanimously to approve the 2012-2013 Student Handbook.
Superintendent Udstuen gave the Board an update of summer projects: lighting and lowered ceilings in four classrooms, lighting in the main floor hallway, Custom Alarm updates, and locker refurbishing.
Motion by Kristy Folz, seconded by Shannon Schuttemeier and carried unanimously to approve the Second Reading of MSBA Revised Policy 205: Open Meetings and Closed Meetings.
Motion by Shannon Schuttemeier, seconded by Eric Bjerke and carried unanimously to approve the annual review of the following policies: 214 - Out of State Travel by Board Members, 410 - Family and Medical Leave Policy, 524 - Internet Acceptable Use and Safety Policy.
Board Member Shannon Schuttemeier introduced the following resolution and moved its adoption:
RESOLUTION RELATING TO THE ELECTION OF SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS
AND CALLING THE SCHOOL DISTRICT GENERAL ELECTION
BE IT RESOLVED by the School Board of Independent School District No. 297, State of Minnesota as follows:
1. (a) It is necessary for the school district to hold its general election for the purpose of electing three school board members for terms of four (4) years each and one school board member for a term of two (2) years.
(b) The clerk shall include on the ballot the names of the individuals who file or have filed affidavits of candidacy during the period established for filing such affidavits, as though they had been included by name in this resolution. The clerk shall not include on the ballot the names of individuals who file timely affidavits of withdrawal in the manner specified by law.
2. The general election is hereby called and elected to be held in conjunction with the state general election on Tuesday, the 6th day of November, 2012.
3. Pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, Section 205A.11, the precincts and polling places for this general election are those polling places and precincts or parts of precincts located within the boundaries of the school district and which have been established by the cities or towns located in whole or in part within the school district. The voting hours at those polling places shall be the same as for the state general election.
4. The clerk is hereby authorized and directed to cause written notice of said general election to be provided to the county auditor of each county in which the school district is located, in whole or in part, at least seventy-four (74) days before the date of said election. The notice shall include the date of said general election and the office or offices to be voted on at said general election.
The clerk is hereby authorized and directed to cause notice of said general election to be posted at the administrative offices of the school district at least ten (10) days before the date of said general election.
The clerk is hereby authorized and directed to cause a sample ballot to be posted at the administrative offices of the school district at least four (4) days before the date of said general election and to cause two sample ballots to be posted in each polling place on Election Day. The sample ballot shall not be printed on the same color paper as the official ballot. The sample ballot for a polling place must reflect the offices, candidates and rotation sequence on the ballots used in that polling place.
The clerk is hereby authorized and directed to cause notice of said general election to be published in the official newspaper of the school district for two (2) consecutive weeks with the last publication being at least one (1) week before the date of said election.
The notice of election so posted and published shall state the offices to be filled set forth in the form of ballot below, and shall include information concerning each established precinct and polling place.
The clerk is authorized and directed to cause the rules and instructions for use of the optical scan voting system to be posted in each polling place on Election Day.
5. The clerk is authorized and directed to acquire and distribute such election materials as may be necessary for the proper conduct of this election, and generally to cooperate with election authorities conducting other elections on that date. The clerk and members of the administration are authorized and directed to take such actions as may be necessary to coordinate this election with those other elections, including entering into agreements or understandings with appropriate election officials regarding preparation and distribution of ballots, election administration and cost sharing.
6. The clerk is further authorized and directed to cause or to cooperate with the proper election officials to cause ballots to be prepared for use at said election in substantially the following form, with such changes in form, color and instructions as may be necessary to accommodate an optical scan voting system.
GENERAL ELECTION BALLOT
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 297
SPRING GROVE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
NOVEMBER 6, 2012
INSTRUCTIONS TO VOTERS
To vote, completely fill in the ovals(s) next to your choice(s) like this:
SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER
VOTE FOR UP TO ONE
write-in, if any
SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER
VOTE FOR UP TO THREE
write-in, if any
write-in, if any
Optical scan ballots must be printed in black ink on white material, except that marks to be read by the automatic tabulating equipment may be printed in another color ink. The name of the precinct and machine-readable identification must be printed on each ballot. Voting instructions must be printed at the top of the ballot on each side that includes ballot information. The instructions must include an illustration of the proper mark to be used to indicate a vote. Lines for initials of at least two election judges must be printed on one side of the ballot so that the judges' initials are visible when the ballots are enclosed in a secrecy sleeve.
7. The name of each candidate for office at this election shall be rotated with the names of the other candidates for the same office in the manner specified in Minnesota law.
8. If the school district will be contracting to print the ballots for this election, the clerk is hereby authorized and directed to prepare instructions to the printer for layout of the ballot. Before a contract in excess of $1,000 is awarded for printing ballots, the printer shall, if requested by the election official, furnish, in accordance with Minnesota Statutes, Section 204D.04, a sufficient bond, letter of credit, or certified check acceptable to the clerk in an amount not less than $1,000 conditioned on printing the ballots in conformity with the Minnesota election law and the instructions delivered. The clerk shall set the amount of the bond, letter of credit, or certified check in an amount equal to the value of the purchase.
9. The individuals designated as judges for the state general election shall act as election judges for this election at the various polling places and shall conduct said election in the manner described by law. The election judges shall act as clerks of election, count the ballots cast and submit them to the school board for canvass in the manner provided for other school district elections. The general election must be canvassed between the third and the tenth day following the general election.
The motion for adoption of the foregoing resolution was duly seconded by Board Member Christian Myrah and upon vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor thereof: Borreson, Myrah, Folz, Schuttemeier, Solum, and Bjerke and the following members voted against the same: none; whereupon said resolution was declared duly passed and adopted.
Motion by Shannon Schuttemeier, seconded by Christian Myrah and carried unanimously to approve the Open Enrollment request for Nicole Rogich (grade 10) from the Mabel-Canton School District.
Motion by Shannon Schuttemeier, seconded by Kristy Folz and carried unanimously to hold the regular September School Board Meeting on Monday, September 24, 2012 at 7:30 p.m.
BOARD MEETING DATES:
Regular School Board Meeting is Monday Evening, August 24, 2012, 7:30 p.m., Media Center
Motion by Kristy Folz, seconded by Shannon Schuttemeier and carried unanimously to adjourn at 8:30 p.m.
Kristy Folz, Clerk/Treasurer
Independent School District #297