Pole shed garage damaged by fire Sunday
Monday, April 09, 2012 3:12 AM
A rural three-car garage about four miles northwest of Spring Valley was damaged by fire Sunday afternoon.
Spring Valley firefighters responded to a call just before 3 p.m. at the Tim Grasser residence, located off of Mower Fillmore Road north of Minnesota 16 near where Deer Creek crosses under the road. The garage, a pole shed type structure, was partially damaged as were some of the contents, which included tractors and lawn mowers, said Spring Valley Fire Chief Chris Czapiewski.
The fire apparently started from a smoldering burn barrel near the garage. The garage was detached and the home wasn't threatened.
The department had the fire pretty much under control within half an hour, although it did create some heavy, black smoke due to the machinery inside. The local department left the scene before 4:30 p.m.
The Grand Meadow Fire Department was called in to assist as Spring Valley firefighters needed extra water and manpower, said Czapiewski. On their way to the scene, a motorcyclist was seriously injured when a car pulled over to yield to the fire truck (see related story).
No injuries were reported at the fire scene. Czapiewski said that although the fire was limited to one side, the garage had extensive damage, as did much of the equipment inside.