Imagine a garden, bursting with colourful blooms for a significant part of the year. With careful plant selection, your dream can become reality.
Perennial plants are a gardener's best friend. They start their blooming season early in the year and some can still be in full glory until autumn. The icing on the cake is that many varieties are easy to maintain and even offer multiple blooming periods.
Adding Annual Flowers
Annual flowers can complement the display, injecting an added dose of colour and texture.
Choose plants that reward with long-lasting blooms. Here are some excellent options:
- Offers beautiful, long-lasting flowers and sports a bushy form.
- Requires little maintenance.
- Thrives in morning sun and slightly acidic soil conditions.
- Hardy and offers flowers that renew daily from June to October.
- Requires a minimum of 5 hours of sun a day.
- Can withstand temperatures of upto -15 degrees and tolerates drought.
- Blooms continuously from May to September.
- Can endure harsh cold, requires minimal maintenance and benefits from a prune after winter.
- The leaves have a euphoric effect on cats and can be used to make herbal tea.
- Produces bright, long-lasting yellow flowers.
- Prefers sunny locations and well-drained, humus-rich soil.
- Leaving stems after blooming provides a food source for birds during winter.
- Famed for spectacular, colourful blooms that last from spring through to late October.
- Needs at least 5 hours of sun a day.
- It is not frost-tolerant, so consider growing in pots which can be moved indoors during winter.
We invite suggestions for other long-flowering plants.