Jubilant floats are the focus of 1910 parade
Tuesday, June 03, 2014 5:26 AM
Today we continue with four more entries in the Fourth of July parade in 1910 in Spring Valley. The photographer was situated along Section Avenue about where Fowler's bp station is today, facing the T.O. Kilburn home to the west.
The "float" by Rafferty & Week Farmers Store is lavishly covered with white fabric and liberally decorated with vines, leaves, and palm branches. The Rafferty and Week couple are sun-protected with their elegant parasols and straw hats. Halbert Week (1864-1930) was born near Bear Creek. He came to town to work at the Molstad general store, but soon he and Frank Rafferty constructed the brick Farmers Store. This was our first real "department store" featuring large display windows and home delivery of goods right to your door with a horse-drawn enclosed wagon. Week built a lovely three-story home at 600 Warren Avenue, one of the first dwellings to have central heating with a wood-burning furnace. The partnership dissolved; the Week sons continued the business for a time; then Joe Mlinar purchased the building in 1935. It became "The Torium" - a dance hall, theater and roller-skating rink. From 1946 to 1973 the Sears & Roebuck Company operated a fine retail and catalog store here. Thanks to Kiwanis and many individual efforts, it became our present community center, greatly in demand for countless events.
A banner at the back of the next vehicle indicates Lloyd the Druggist. Tastefully decorated with the stars and stripes theme, the auto is identified as a Reo, which proudly carries the noted Lobdill Twins, one of whom Lloyd married - Emma. The twins made quite a splash in the community social scene, and perhaps those fancy linen parasols are on display at the Washburn-Zittleman historic home in the Costume Room. Elmer Lloyd (1870-1931) was a registered pharmacist and his store was located in the upper block, east side, two doors south of the theater. Lloyd was active in community affairs for 21 years, retiring early due to health issues. He was an accomplished photographer, and much of his work is found in the files or on display at the historical society.
W.A. Seeley is driving the next auto, extravagantly covered with white flowers or poufs. He sold automobiles as boasted on his windshield, but he carried bold signs for Washburn the Photographer, and Lobdill's Pioneer Hardware. S.C. Lobdill came to town in 1868, and he and his family made a significant impact on the community. He built a fine estate on the corner of Division Avenue and Church Street, but the home was demolished many years ago. Their imposing stone stable is now a residence on East Church Street.
Washburn the Photographer operated his studio upstairs on South Broadway just south of First State Bank. His family lived on West Courtland, now the Washburn-Zittleman historic home. One can see the impresssive Washburn studio camera and countless examples of his work at the Methodist Church Museum. It was Washburn's granddaughter, Joan Zittleman Yasmineh, who donated the historic home to the Spring Valley Historical Society in 1995, one of the finest examples in southeastern Minnesota. Have you visited there yet? You should.
The fourth auto features a banner, "Hart & Beagle, Grocers" with Mr. Hart and Mr. Beagle in the back seat with young Lynn Hart. Their grocery store was in the lower block, west side, and remained a grocery store at least through the 1940s. Driving the auto is Dr. Wm. Kendrick with daughter Leona accompanying him along with another youngster. Dr. Kendrick was one of the "Five Canadian Doctors" who graced our area. He came in 1905 and practiced here 31 years, often called by area physicians for consultations. He was known as "always a student," continuing his education throughout his years. He married Maude Lloyd, thereby becoming a "relative by marriage" of the Lobdill Twins, as Maude's brother, Elmer, married Emma Lobdill.
We hope you have enjoyed the 1910 July 4th parade, and will be entertained by the coming parades in 2014, as well as music every weekend at the gazebo in the Spring Creek Park.